Sunday, December 7, 2008

Scones, Navajo Tacos

This is a REALLY yummy scone recipe. It's a little sweet so is great with butter and jam or honey. But it also works really well for Navajo Tacos. We usually throw on chili beans or regular canned chili, tomatoes, lettuce, olives, cheese, sour cream...whatever you like. These go together really quickly also. REMINDER: If you are trying these recipes PLEASE review them....it makes me feel like my effort is not in vain:)

Kristy

Navajo Bread:

4 C Flour
1 tsp Salt
1/2 C Sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 C Milk

Mix dry ingredients, add milk. Mix until you get a good dough. (I usually have to add a little flour until it's not too sticky). Fry in hot oil.

I make smaller scones from golf ball sized balls, and just press them down quite flat as they rise in the oil. Today I also used 1 C of wheat flour and 3 Cups regular flour and that turned out well.

NOTE: One reviewer said she didn't like these so much because they were heavy. They ARE a little heavier than some scone recipes. This is a QUICK recipe without yeast, so it does turn out that way. I don't mind it. My husband on the other hand really prefers the lighter scones I make with my white bread recipe. It just depends on your preference. But if you are a hurry, these are a great option :)

4 comments:

Kate said...

I love scones and Navajo Tacos. I have a little different recipe but anyone that hasn't tried these needs to, they are great.

Tina said...

I just did a search for a Navajo taco scone recipe, and your blog came up. Thanks--I'm going to use this tonight.

carolee said...

I usually use pre-made dough, like Rhodes rolls, but decided to try them from scratch this time. This recipe was just okay for me. It made the scones really dense, not light and fluffy like I'm used to. Maybe I did something wrong. :(

Brittany Sorensen said...

Just found this recipe on a google search -- DEFINITELY doing this tonight!! Thanks!