Thursday, April 16, 2009

REALLY easy and yummy Breadsticks

I don't know about your neck of the woods, but ours has been cold and SNOWY lately.  With that for inspiration I have been making soup lately.  Wanted to point out that there are some very yummy soups posted on this site.  You can check them out here.  Most recently I have tried the Cheddar and Soda Soup, the White Bean Chicken Chili and the Meatball and Gnocchi Soup.  LOVED them all!  Try them out and REVIEW them if you do!  Even though they were posted a while ago, any reviews are greatly appreciated.  So with soup on the brain I have been making these DELICIOUS breadsticks.  Seriously...the easiest things in the world!  Good luck!

Breadsticks:

1 TBLS Yeast
1 1/2 C Warm Water
2 TBLS Honey or Sugar

Mix together and let get bubbly. 

Add:
4 C flour
3/4 tsp salt

Knead together, grease Pan.  Grease or flour counter top, roll out dough in a rectangle shape (about 1/2 inch thick).  Cut in strips, twist and place on cookie sheet or pan.  Coat with melted butter (lately I've been dipping the whole strip into butter before I twist it up...)  Sprinkle with garlic salt, parmesan cheese and Italian Seasoning (I normally just use garlic salt, but sometimes add the others).  Let rise.  Cook at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes.  

This takes about 5 minutes to put together, 15 minutes or so to rise and then cook time.  Done in 40 minutes or the time it takes to make a meal.  My own kids and my daycare kids eat these up like crazy.  If you have a big family you'll want to double or triple the recipe.  We ate a whole batch between 5 of us tonight and I certainly could have had more.  I've also made this with half whole wheat and it is still really good (this is actually what I did for the daycare kids most recently...they still loved it).  The dough is a bit harder to work and takes longer to knead together.  You will love these if you try them.  They are REALLY good, but I also love that I don't have to wait for them like you normally do with breadsticks, yet they are homemade. 

No comments: