Thursday, April 9, 2009

German Pancakes


UPDATE: Today I made this with WHOLE WHEAT and ALMOND MILK substituted in for regular flour and milk. It was delicious. The kids still gobbled it right up!

**************************************************

If you have never tried these...you HAVE to. And you need to give it more than one chance. When we got married my husband had never had them. I made them for him and he was a little skeptical at first. They quickly became a family favorite however. These are YUMMY, FAST and full of protein (eggs). Although they are officially a breakfast item, we routinely have them after church and occasionally for dinner. So here you go:

German Pancakes

1/4 C Butter
1 C Milk
1 C Flour
1 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 TBLS Honey
6 eggs

Place butter in 9 x 13 pan, melting in an oven at 400 degrees. DO NOT BURN. (This usually takes as long to melt as it does to put together everything else, but I still keep an eye on it just in case.) Mix remaining ingredients in a blender. Pour all at once into hot butter and bake 20 minutes or until browned on the edges.

A couple of TIPS:

This will rise up in the oven and look like it's going to spill all over the sides. It won't, but make sure you don't have another rack right above it or you will get it all over that. It flattens back down (mostly) after you pull it out of the oven.

We normally eat this with a little bit more butter and then powdered sugar sprinkled on top. you can also eat it with syrup or fruit preserves. We did make it one time with apple pie filling in the bottom and it was really yummy. It might even be good with omelet type toppings or fillings, but we've never tried it that way.

This just barely feeds our family of four, even though our kids are little because they love it so much. PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW YOU LIKE THIS!

6 comments:

Linda said...

We love German pancakes too! We sprinkle powdered sugar on top and then squeeze lime juice over it-yum!

Audrey said...

I love to make these in my big round cast iron skillet!

rachaeljanae said...

The cast iron skillet is a good idea! THis is a favorite at our house too (although we haven't had them for a while). I like to use whole wheat flour.

Kate said...

I love german pancakes and they are very easy. Great idea.

Melita said...

We love German pancakes at our house too. And sometimes just for my family of 5 I have to make two batches. :)

Jamie Jo said...

I love German pancakes. I've never tried it with honey, though. I like to put nutmeg in my mix, and then I eat it with orange juice and powdered sugar.