Monday, April 13, 2009

Quick Cheese Biscuits

These remind me of the biscuits they serve at red lobster.  These are so yummy and QUICK!  They take less than 10 minutes to put together and 15 to bake.  Good luck!  Let me know if you like them...

Quick Cheese Biscuits

1 C flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese (recipe calls for sharp, I usually use mild because that's what I have on hand)
2 TBLS butter
2/3 C milk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.  Stir in cheddar.  Cut butter using a pastry blender or 2 knives until course crumbs form.  Using a fork, stir milk into flour mixture until a soft dough forms.  Do not overmix or overwork dough.  Drop dough in heaping tablespoons, 1 inch apart onto an ungreased baking sheet.  Bake until biscuits are firm to the touch, about 15 minutes.

Couple of tips from me:

I use an ice cream scoop to measure out the dough balls.  I then use a spoon to get the dough out of the scoop.  It works better than just using two regular spoons.  

I also usually make at least a double batch.  This says it makes 8 biscuits.  I usually get almost a dozen out the recipe, but love them, so make more so there is plenty to go around.

Variations listed on recipe:

Freeze these for mini egg sandwiches.  Defrost the biscuits; reheat in a warm oven for 10 minutes.  Fill with scrambled eggs, bacon and cheddar.

Compliment a spaghetti dinner:  use parmesan cheese instead of cheddar and add 1/2 tsp dried basil in flour mixture.

No comments: