I was looking for a good way to use some of the yummy stuff I got in the Mexican ingredient add-on of my bountiful baskets and found this recipe on Recipezaar. The overwhelming consensus in our house is that it is yummy and the recipe is a keeper! We ate it with fresh whole wheat bread right out of the oven (I'll post that recipe soon).
Poblano Corn Chowder with Chicken
* 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
* 2 cups water
* 4 cups frozen corn, divided
* 1 cup milk
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 2 poblano chiles, seeded, diced
* 1 white onion, chopped
* 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1 large tomato, diced
* 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled (I didn't have feta so I used a shredded pizza blend that I had in the fridge, I think any cheese would be good)
* cilantro, chopped (optional)
* avocado, slices (optional)
* lime slice (optional)
* black pepper, freshly ground
1. In a small saucepan, add the chicken breasts and 2 cups of water; bring to a boil and cook until chicken is tender; approximately 10 minutes.
2. Shred the chicken reserving poaching liquid.
3. Puree 2 cups of the corn kernels in a blender with the milk; set aside.
4. In a soup pot, heat the olive oil; add the diced chilies, onion and garlic; sauté 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Measure the poaching liquid and add enough water to make 2 cups, add to soup pot along with the chicken.
6. Add remaining corn and seasonings bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Stir in pureed corn, tomato and cheese; simmer to heat through and melt cheese, about 3 minutes. (I stirred in about half a cup of sour cream at the end too)
8. Ladle into servings bowls and garnish as desired.
Because of the mexican ingredient pack that I got I had fresh cilantro lime and avocado for garnish and it was so good with all of those things added.
Happy New Year? - So sometimes we get our poem out on time. Sometimes we don't. We had this written by New Years, which isn't really on time, but better than say....the end ...
6 years ago