Sunday, July 12, 2009

Black Beans and Rice

Inspired this week by $5 Dinners I pulled together this recipe for dinner one night. I hadn't planned ahead so couldn't do the crock pot like she did, but this worked out really good. The first bite or two I wondered if it was a bit to bland. But I had a bowl and then kept thinking about it and had to go back for more later. The flavors in mine were a bit subtle, but you could spice things up if you prefer your stuff that way. Again...sorry, the measurements aren't exact because I threw it together...are you tired of me doing that yet? I seriously used to be a recipe NAZI! But have adopted a more "flexible" approach lately. Let me know if you like it...

Black Beans and Rice

2-3 cups of rice
1 onion, chopped
1 can of black beans, drained (for a less expensive option, use dry beans...but you have to PLAN ahead ;)
1 can petite diced tomatoes (you could probably use fresh or any other type of tomatoes here, I used what I had)
1 C (or so) frozen corn (I'm sure canned or fresh would be just great as well)
Garlic Powder
Cumin

Put the rice on to cook. Chop the onion and saute in a bit of olive oil until translucent. Add the can of black beans and corn. Saute for a few more minutes to your liking. (This time I just warmed them up, but previously when I've done recipe similar to this it was fun to put in a bit more oil and make them a bit "blackened" almost. It brings out some interesting and yummy flavors.) Add the tomatoes and spices to taste. Cook until warmed through. Mix together with rice and serve.

My kids even liked this one! I think because it was a bit milder...it helped! You could bulk up with some type of meat if you wanted, but really it has all the elements you need for a meal and is a nice lighter option. No meat = a bit less money! A salad would also go really well with this!

2 comments:

Auntoverbought said...

I'm anxious to try this thanks. I would be interested in the details for doing in crock pot. I'm not too sharp on the 'conversion'

Doran & Jody said...

Now THIS is up my ally. Yummy!